Choosing a Garden Shed Design can be a tough decision – what material should my garden shed be made from? At Sheds and Shelters we are here to help and want to make this process as simple as possible for you!
There are 3 materials garden sheds can be made from, Steel, Timber and Resin, below are a list of the pros and cons of each material to help you form a better opinion of what Garden Shed design is best for you!
Aesthetics forms a large part of your decision making as your choice will mainly come down to what garden shed you like the look of the most and what will suit your house and back yard. However, steel garden sheds are most popular due to their cost effective yet sturdy and attractive design and make a great storage shed. Timber sheds are a more expensive option, are an attractive design and make a great workshop, studio, office or cabin. Resin sheds are new on the market in NZ and offer a different look but have many benefits.
- Cheaper option when compared to timber or plastic
- Attractive looking designs while still being a cost effective garden shed
- Large range of sizes and colour options with most brands – something to suit everyone’s backyard!
- Some brands allow the shed to be modified – check out our Garden Master, Duratuf Fortress or Duratuf Kiwi Sheds
- Some brands have internal timber framing creating a stronger shed – check out our Duratuf Fortress and Kiwi garden sheds
- Weatherproof to protect your valuables from the harsh sunlight and winter weather
- Light weight for easier transportation
- Long warranty – Duratuf have a 30 Year Warranty!
- Low Maintenance – Doesn’t require repainting
- Steel sheds do condensate
- Possibility of denting – this depends on the gauge of the steel. Cheaper brands are more prone to denting
- Some brands may be difficult to assemble (this also depends on your skill level)
- Strong and Robust structure for a sturdy and long lasting garden shed – Will not dent
- Attractive designs
- Easy to assemble due to premade wall panels
- Timber framing makes it easy to attach shelves, workbenches and insulate and line
- Suitable for an office, studio or outside room
- Weatherproof to protect your valuables from the weather – do not condensate as much as steel sheds and can come with building paper
- Can be modified – The pinehaven and Cedar sheds can be modified to suit your requirements
- Most expensive option
- Requires maintenance, all wooden sheds should be painted or stained to prolong the life of the timber
- Will not rust or rot
- Minimal Maintenance
- Attractive design – the Keter range have 3 different styles, a contemporary, classic and wood look!
- Keter sheds have a twin wall panel design which creates a strong shed
- Minimal Condensation due to twin wall resin wall panel
- Heavy duty resin floor included
- Vented panels and windows are included as standard!
- Easy assembly – Panels are tongue and groove, parts are labelled extremely well and Assembly booklet is easy to follow!
- Light weight and may blow away if not secured correctly
- Keter sheds need to be built on a perfectly level platform for all parts to line up correctly
- Cant be customised
- Securing your shed can be difficult if you are sitting it on grass/dirt – (we have solutions for this so contact us for advice!)